For a few bucks you can get such a Radiation Measurement System (RMS) to measure Radiation Patterns and Total Radiated Power (TRP) from a 3-axis rotation of your wireless IoT / M2M application.
While Radiation Patterns and Total Radiated Power (TRP) is usually measured in an anechoic chamber to avoid reflections to affect the measurement, the RMS has a smart antenna design to reduce the sensitivity for reflections. This allows radiation measurements to be made in relatively small lab or your office spaces.
A comparison and extensive evaluation at the Philips Innovations Services anechoic labs has shown that in a normal environment the Radiation Measurement System can produce results that are comparable with such expensive anechoic measurements.
Radiation Measurement System – key features:
- Turnkey system includes rotation table, measurement antenna and receiver and application software
- Dual polarization antenna and dual channel receiver, needs only one rotation per axis
- Measures 3-axis radiation patterns in minutes
- Measures Field Strength, EiRP, Antenna Gain, Total Radiated Power
- 3D representation of measurements
- Frequency range 700 MHz – 4000 MHz
- Can measure multiple frequencies at the same time
- Can generate a horizontal or vertical test signal
- Generator-port option allows closed loop measurement of an Antenna under test
- Real-time power and polarization indicator
- No calibration necessary
- Lightweight and heavy duty table option.
- Can be used in normal office space with moderate space requirements. No need for an anechoic chamber
- Compact and portable system
- Session manager for storing measurements and configurations
- Quality reporting
The RMS is so small and light that it fits to carry-on luggage at common air lines. Moreover it is much cheaper than an anechoic chamber.
However I will keep you posted with some radiation pattern reports of IoT / M2M devices.
If you are interested in the embedded RMS, VNA, antennas, antenna consulting, antenna test set-ups up for development of prototypes or final wireless IoT products then to not hesitate to drop an email to harald.naumann (at) gsm-modem.de