Are we able to make a mint of money with such a low-cost BLE-GPRS-GPS-gateway? If yes then it makes sense to follow a train of thoughts listed in my IoT M2M Cookbook. Everybody can make such a gateway real for less than USD 15.
In my IoT M2M Cookbook – excerpt here:
I explained in detail how to design a tracking device based on cellular modules (2G, 3G, 4G) and GNSS (GPS, GLONASS, Galileo).
Estimated bill of material for the low-cost BLE-GPRS-GPS-gateway in mass production:
- GPRS, GPS, BT 4.0 (BLE) module with RTOS (Nucleus) = USD 9,50
- MCU does not apply = USD 0
- GSM PCB track antenna out of the IoT M2M Cookbook = USD 0
- Bluetooth PCB track antenna out of the IoT M2M Cookbook = USD 0
- GPS PCB track antenna out of the IoT M2M Cookbook = USD 0
- SIM Card connector does not apply because it has a SIM on Chip = USD 0
- USB connector + diode + low ESR capacitor < USD 1
- Enclosure < USD 1
- PCB smaller than 86,6 mm x 54 mm. (ISO 7810, ID-1-Format, credit card size) < USD 1
- M2M SIM card without fee – Pay as you go SIM card
- Summary < USD 10
Estimated one-off costs for the prototype of the low-cost BLE-GPRS-GPS-gateway:
- GCC GNU Complier = USD 0
- Code samples = USD 0
- Software to develop the PCB = USD 0
- 2 x M2M test SIM cards (standard SIM and SIM on Chip) = USD 0
- IoT M2M Cookbook = estimated USD 100
- Evaluation kit for GPRS module does not apply = USD 0
- 1 x GPRS module < USD 15
- 5 x two layer PCB by PCB Pool < USD 150 https://www.pcb-pool.com/ppde/order_productconfiguration_js.html
- Summary < USD 300
BTW, I am working on a temperature sensor for my brother’s greenhouses. The BOM is close to the upper mentioned parts. The addition is sensors for temperature, air humidity and soil moisture on a bus system. The summary of the sensors is more expensive than the communication box.
In the end, these questions remain:
- Are we able to make a mint of money with such a low-cost BLE-GPRS-GPS-gateway?
- Does it make sense to start a Kickstarter campaign?
- Which target groups have a need for low cost such a BLE-GPRS-GPS-gateway?
Thank you in advance for a request the BLE-GPRS-GPS-module, antenna matching, antenna designs, comments or an email to harald.naumann (at) lte – modem. com