GSM and 3G M2M applications supporting North American 2G/3G networks require PTCRB approval (PTCRB Type Certification Review Board) in order to be accepted by the network operators in US and Canada. PTCRB approval ensures a M2M device is compliant with the appropriate technological standards, regulatory requirements and certain operator requirements (e.g. Over-the-Air performance test).
The PTCRB approval includes:
- Conformance Testing for 2G/2.5G Technologies
- Conformance Testing for 3G Technologies
- TTY and SIM/USIM Testing
- Application Enabler (AE): MMS, PoC, VT
- TRP & TIS Measurements (Over-the-Air Performance Tests)
- Radiated Spurious Emissions Testing
- Specific Absorption Rate (SAR)
- FCC & IC Testing and Approval
The listed 2G and 3G modules at website are PTCRB pre approved. Anyhow the Over-the-Air Performance is interfered by the antenna and ground plane you will use for your M2M application.